Importing LUTS into Sony Raw Viewer.
SONY RAW VIEWER, LUTS AND OTHER RAMBLINGS.
Quick way to import luts into sony raw viewer.
Quick review on the issue of lut import.
Addressing the problems.
This afternoon, after some procrastination, I decided to play around with some old Sony PXW-FS7 footage. Last time I shot the footage, I had used Art Adams AA709 lut as a base. Incase you don't know who Art adams is or the issue he tackled with his LUT, Here is a link to his page. He basically hacked the Arri Alexa look into a sony FS7 using a bunch of very neat tweaks.
So the Issue on hand was, how would one go about importing the custom lut used in the sony fs7 for shooting into the sony raw viewer for post purposes.
It's super simple but if you don't know how to, then it gets pretty tough i suppose. Anyway, the solution is simple.
- Go into the folder where sony raw viewer is installed
- Locate the folder called "Data"
3. You will find two folders under there,ACEScc and Look Profile
4. go to look profile and paste your luts under the colour system folder you used to shoot the footage. In my case it was SGamut3Cine, so I used that folder.
5. Super important that you rename the custom lut using the pre-existing file sequence in there. eg. you have 5 luts in there already, rename your custom lut to something like "6. customlut". If you miss that step, for some odd reason the file doesn't show up in the raw viewer.
6. Now re-start your Sony Raw Viewer and voila! the profiles would be upated and you can use the lut.
It's very simple to do that, but it was extremely annoying since there is no available information on that matter. I did not look into the program manual yet, so maybe it's there. But anyway, now you know how to go about it. If you have any issues, just drop me a comment below.